The following statements may help alleviate the feelings of embarrassment, depression, anxiety, loneliness and shame that many may be feeling but not expressing.
Some non-judgmental statements that offers empathy that can be used are:
• it is hard to live with
• it can be embarrassing
• it can be relentless
• it can affect confidence and self esteem
• it can affect your desire to socialize or exercise
• that the fear of an accident is real
• it can be hard to discuss with loved ones
• it can affect sexual relationships
• it can be overwhelming knowing how to manage it
• it can be very frustrating and make you angry
• it can make you feel unclean or unsexy
• it can be difficult to change behavior
The type of language above can be adjusted depending if the incontinence is temporary, permanent, new or long standing.
Time poor professionals can be focused on the ’immediate’ issues that are presented, however by trying to be mindful of expressing some kind words that show real empathy, you could really help change the behavior or the mindset of someone struggling. Even using one of the phrases above could be a very powerful message to a patient or client and could completely change their day or outlook.